Purpose of Role:
The Business Development & Transactions Executive (UK North) will develop a thorough understanding of the cell and gene therapy market within their defined territory, mapping strengths and needs and identifying technology gaps that can be addressed / augmented by the skills and capabilities of the Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) Catapult. They will promote the CGT Catapult appropriately within the territory and maintain the market’s awareness of CGT Catapult’s current activities. They will establish collaborations and transact deals to secure joint collaborative R&D grant awards and fee-for-service commercial income. The Business Development & Transactions Executive (UK North) will develop and maintain relationships between the Cell and Gene Therapy (CGT) Catapult and leading academic institutions, technology transfer offices, spin-out companies, SMEs, and large companies, to ensure a flow of high-quality projects for delivery by the CGT Catapult’s operational teams across all Catapult sites.
• Maintain and build relationships in their UK North territory with academic, clinical, and commercial communities.
• Maintain and build close working relationships with UK Technology Transfer Offices.
• Identify, negotiate, and close transactions to secure projects suitable for support by the CGT Catapult, through external collaborative R&D grants (e.g., Innovate UK, MRC, EPSRC etc.), and commercial income.
• Define and deliver strategic account plans to help grow our business across the UK North.
• Experience of sales / business development within the life sciences sector.
• Experience of customer facing key account management.
• Experience of technology transfer in an academic or innovative environment.
• Experience of grant supported R&D collaborations. Knowledge / Skills /
• Highly motivated, pragmatic, and practical to support the mission of the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult to accelerate the development of a commercial cell and gene-based therapy industry in the UK.
• Desire to establish a high-profile career within the cell and gene sector and the personal drive to help push the sector to be a commercial success.
• High level interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills and emotional intelligence.
• Flexible and pragmatic, able to learn quickly and respond flexibly to project needs and priorities.
• Ability to work well under pressure, to work independently and to be able to take the initiative when completing tasks.
• Ambitious, collaborative, driven.
• Comfortable operating autonomously once goals and objectives are set.
• Accurate with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to quickly establish credibility and build rapport and trust.
• Proven ability to engage constructively with colleagues at all levels across different departments to deliver objectives and to respond to a wide range of customer and management needs.
• A good team player with a hands-on approach, and adaptable to new challenges.
• A positive attitude towards learning, personal and professional development.
• Keeps up to date with professional knowledge, expertise, and best practice.
• Good external facing skills and ability to build relationships essential.
• Good public speaker with strong external and internal scientific credibility.
• Good presentation skills.
• Willingness to travel.
Education / Qualifications:
• BSc hons in a relevant life science.
• MSc/PhD/DPhil would be preferred but not necessary