The role of the Business Development Manager (UK South) is to identify and transact projects to support our leading UK-based partners in industry and academia as required to achieve the annual business goals set by the Director of Business Development. Through effective management of the world’s third largest clusters of cell and gene therapy activity, you will build and maintain relationships to ensure a flow of high-quality projects leveraging the unique expertise and capabilities at CGT Catapult. The Business Development Manager (UK South) will assess the marketplace to identify needs/gaps and will work closely with the wider team to establish collaborations.
- Build relationships in their territory (UK South) with a range of industry stakeholders including start-ups, spin-outs, SMEs, pharmaceutical companies, and CDMOS.
- Identify and close transactions to secure fee-for-service and grant funded projects (e.g. Innovate UK, Horizon EU, Wellcome Trust etc.).
- Define the UK South territory and account strategies and work closely with the CGT Catapult operational teams to build new partner relationships and strengthen existing partnerships.
- Analyse the Cell and Gene Therapy “market” to enable targeting of organisations developing new technologies.
- Experience of sales/business development within the life sciences sector.
- Experience in customer facing key account/customer relationship management.
- Experience of technology transfer in an academic or innovative environment.
- Experience of grant supported R&D collaborations.
Knowledge / Skills / Competencies:
- Highly motivated, pragmatic and practical to support the mission of the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult to accelerate the development of a commercial cell and gene-based therapy industry in the UK.
- Desire to establish a high profile career within the cell and gene sector and the personal drive to help push the sector to be a commercial success.
- High level interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills and emotional intelligence.
- Flexible and pragmatic, able to learn quickly and respond flexibly to project needs and priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure, to work independently and to be able to take the initiative when completing tasks.
- Ambitious, collaborative, driven.
- Comfortable operating autonomously once goals and objectives are set.
- Accurate with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and build rapport and trust.
- Proven ability to engage constructively with colleagues at all levels across different departments to deliver objectives and to respond to a wide range of customer and management needs.
- A good team player with a hands-on approach, and adaptable to new challenges.
- A positive attitude towards learning, personal and professional development.
- Keeps up to date with professional knowledge, expertise, and best practice.
- Good external facing skills and ability to build relationships essential.
- Good public speaker with strong external and internal scientific credibility.
- Good presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Education / Qualifications:
- BSc hons in a relevant life science.
- MSc/PhD/DPhil would be preferred but not necessary.