This business development role will seek to align the aims and activities of the CGT Catapult delivery teams with the market needs and to establish collaborations to address impactful industry Grand Challenges. The ultimate goal is to identify project opportunities, form strong partnerships, and secure funding to deliver impactful collaborative projects. The role will lead and support the Collaborations Team and work hand-in-hand with the wider BD team, whilst also delivering on the goals of the CGT Catapult’s corporate strategy. The role includes line management duties and therefore the requirement to mentor and develop a team of high performing professionals. Three main strands will combine to deliver this:
Maintain a high level understanding of:
- CGT Catapult’s capabilities and IP portfolio across all delivery teams,
- CGT Catapult’s strategic programmes and planned future directions,
- Industry dynamics, market insights and emerging technologies within the cell and gene therapy sector.
You will ensure appropriate market research is compiled to evaluate new growth opportunities and then to utilise this combined knowledge to develop and maintain a number of BD Plans to achieve strategic goals. These plans will then be communicated to the wider Business Development team to present CGT Catapult’s new capabilities/opportunities to the target markets with ongoing steerage and support.
As part of an extended team, deliver the business development strategy, aims, goals and targets of the CGT Catapult:
- Liaise with internal and external technical experts (including via workshops and Advisory Boards) to identify industry challenges and gaps.
- Produce quantitative market/industry analysis to advise the strategic direction of the CGT Catapult, in collaboration and as required by the Director for Business Development and CBO.
- Define and deliver a collaborations strategy to form multi-party, impactful collaborations and consortium projects.
- Identify and secure funding to deliver the collaboration projects.
- Be responsible for managing the Collaborations Team including direct reports.
- Ensure compliance of all agreements with Subsidy Control laws.
- Lead competitive/business intelligence activities with the Business Development team and incorporate learnings into plans.
- Support the Business Development Territory Managers in the design and implementation of their own territory plans and priorities in-line with new capabilities and opportunities.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with academia, industry and/or healthcare providers, identifying potential strategic business partners.
- Lead, negotiate and close transactions in support of forming complex, multi-party collaborations and intellectual property, including preparation of term sheets, coordinating due diligence activities and financial models.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to create collateral and a marketing plan aligned with the Business Development plans (including publication of upcoming collaboration projects, funding opportunities, thought leadership articles etc.).
- Work closely with project teams and Business Development team to develop and where necessary modify and implement plans.
- Manage, foster and maintain our relationship with clients, Collaborators and other stakeholders.
- 5+ years recent experience working commercially in life science/therapeutic organisations.
- Line management experience.
- Knowledge Demonstrated track record of successful grant funding. applications and grant supported R&D collaborations.
- Demonstrable experience of creativity in establishing new strategies.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering on clear strategic goals.
- Working with intellectual property within life science transactions.
- Have a wide UK network.
- Strong technical awareness of the CGT Catapult applications.
- Excellent commercial acumen and the ability to think strategically, and deliver on agreed strategies and influence a wide project team.
- Knowledge of the UK funding landscape.
- Analytical capability to integrate, compile and present data relating to market insights and therapeutics landscape.
- Highly motivated, pragmatic and practical to support the mission of the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult to accelerate the development of a commercial cell and gene therapy based therapy industry in the UK.
- Personal drive to help push the sector to be a commercial success.
- Ambitious, collaborative, driven.
- Good external facing skills and ability to build relationships is essential.
- Flexible and pragmatic, able to learn quickly and respond flexibly to project needs and priorities.
- Comfortable operating autonomously once goals and objectives are set.
- Able to evaluate complex situations and find solutions for them in a professional manner.
- Resilience, with the ability to work well under pressure, to work independently and to be able to take the initiative when completing tasks.
- A flexible approach to work assignments, the ability to manage multiple and varied tasks and to prioritise the workload whilst maintaining a strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and build rapport and trust.
- Proven ability to engage constructively with colleagues at all levels across different departments to deliver objectives and to respond to a wide range of customer and management needs.
- Having a current and up to date professional knowledge, expertise and best practice.
Education / Qualifications:
- BSc hons in a relevant life science.
- MSc/PhD/DPhil would be preferred but not necessary.