The Maintenance Manager is an operational role, managing the day-to-day mechanical, electrical engineering & facilities management activities at CGT Catapult Braintree Manufacturing Innovation Centre (B-MIC). The Maintenance Manager will manage the Maintenance Engineering Team and use effective planning to coordinate reactive maintenance where required across the site.
- To implement, maintain, and measure, within the facilities and engineering area, a framework for compliance and ongoing improvement in quality performance and “right first time” culture.
- To work in accordance with statutory, regulatory, and company standards, procedures, and systems regarding current good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Quality Systems in the workplace.
- To ensure the availability and reliability of building utilities, services, and manufacturing equipment for operational areas, in order to achieve collaborator requirements.
- To identify and implement technology-based working practice solutions, in order to reduce overall cost per unit measures.
- The development and delivery of the Engineering Maintenance Strategy in a safe, quality-focused, and cost-effective manner.
- Develop a Preventive and Predictive maintenance strategy for all plants, machinery, and infrastructure on site.
- Develop and manage Good Engineering Practices (GEP) within the Engineering department, including regularly monitoring engineering standards from a GMP & Safety risk perspective, as well as general housekeeping and, adherence to business processes.
- Manage, and continuously improve, the Work Order Management process, so as to drive efficient execution of maintenance tasks.
- Deliver high levels of Preventative Maintenance and Calibration Schedule Compliance.
- Develop and manage the processes for reviewing failure history and work order data in order to create, monitor, and act on equipment performance trends.
- Interact with support teams via formal meetings and as required on an ad hoc basis.
Other Key Duties:
- Ensure full compliance with Health, Safety, and Environmental legislation, including Statutory Regulations, Risk Assessments and Method Statements, Contractor Control, Fire Regulations, and all other applicable legislation. Organise the Fire Safety regime including fire evacuation and training for all onsite employees.
- Work within the CGT Catapult B-MIC multi-disciplinary environment to ensure successful delivery of CGT Catapult’s projects.
- Liaise with collaborators and other CGT Catapult teams to ensure resources are used efficiently & effectively.
- Actively participate and support business continuity planning.
- Personal development – Pursue a program of continuous personal development in accordance with any relevant professional registration or statutory requirements.
- Any other duties as required by the immediate line manager’s commensurate with the post.
In addition to the above, the Maintenance Manager will be expected, on a rotational basis, to perform the role of the ‘On Call Engineer’ and to manage and co-ordinate operational incidents and emergencies across CGT Catapult B-MIC that take place at the B-MIC outside of core working hours (for example instances of plant failure).
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience leading a team of Maintenance and/or Electrical Engineers.
- Experience of working within a GMP Engineering/Facilities management team in a phase III / commercial biologicals, vaccines, cell or gene therapies manufacturing facility, ideally within a large multifunctional site.
- Experienced in first line diagnostics in M & E systems.
- Proven first-hand experience of working with PPM Systems.
- Experience of working in a small organisation with a pragmatic attitude.
- Experience of working with commercial clients and Collaborators.
Knowledge / Skills / Competencies:
- Highly motivated, pragmatic and practical to support the mission of the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult to accelerate the development of a commercial cell and gene-based therapy industry in the UK.
- Desire to establish a high profile career within cell and gene sector and the personal drive to help push the sector to be a commercial success.
- Proven knowledge of EU/MHRA/HTA/HFEA and FDA regulatory requirements.
- Proven knowledge and practical application of Environmental and Health and Safety legislation within the pharmaceutical / biopharmaceutical industry.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of EU GMP requirements and practical experience is an essential requirement.
- Proven understanding of Building Services, M&E systems, building fabric and BMS, EMS systems and operation.
- High level interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills.
- A “roll your sleeves up” hands-on attitude towards varying work assignments.
- Resilient, with the ability to manage multiple and varied tasks and prioritise workload within a fast-paced professional environment.
- Flexible and pragmatic, able to learn quickly and respond flexibly to project needs and priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure, to work independently and to be able to take the initiative when completing tasks.
- Ambitious, collaborative, driven.
- Comfortable operating autonomously once goals and objectives are set.
- Able to evaluate complex situations and find solutions for them in a professional manner.
- Accurate with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and build rapport and trust.
- A good team player with a hands-on approach, and adaptable to new challenges.
- Proven ability to engage constructively with colleagues at all levels across different departments to deliver objectives and to respond to a wide range of customer and management needs.
- Proven diplomacy skills with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven coaching/mentoring ability.
- High degree of motivation, problem solving skills and innovative thinking.
- Budget and financial acumen.
- Accepts own mistakes - prioritises team over personal goals.
- Driven and proactive - goes above and beyond the call of duty to achieve company results.
- Leads and inspires colleagues.
- Strong influencing and leadership skills. Understands influencing, stakeholder management and negotiation strategies.
- Experience of standard Microsoft packages.
- A positive attitude towards learning, personal and professional development.
- Keeps up to date with professional knowledge, expertise and best practice.
- Willingness to travel.
Education / Qualifications:
- Member of relevant professional institution e.g. CMI, CIBSE, BIFM, CIOB and evidence of continued Professional Development (CPD).
- Degree in Facilities Management or associated Engineering Degree (desirable).
- IOSH/ Nebosh trained (desirable).