The Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult (CGT Catapult) is part of a network of nine industry specific research and innovation centres established by Innovate UK to accelerate pioneering work, research and innovation, and to drive economic growth within the UK. To date the success of the Catapults has been in their ability to bring different sectors together around a shared ambition, and to operate at the nexus of sectors: industry, research, academia and government.
The Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult
The Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult is an independent innovation and technology organisation committed to the advancement of cell and gene therapies, with a vision of a thriving industry delivering life changing advanced therapies to the world. Its aim is to create powerful collaborations which overcome challenges to the advancement of the Bio sector.
With over 400 experts covering all aspects of advanced therapies, it applies its unique capabilities and assets, collaborates with academia, industry and healthcare providers, to develop new technology and innovation.
The Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult works with Innovate UK.
Purpose of the Role
To ensure good corporate governance and to support the executive on the delivery of current operations and business longer term strategy.
As part of the Board, non-executive Directors will provide strategic leadership to CGT Catapult and will challenge and support the CEO and executive whilst scrutinising CGT Catapult’s performance and progress against its strategy and targets. They will also develop and maintain key relationships within industry, government, academia and other key stakeholders. We are open to considering candidates from a range of sectors, though small and medium business experience; digital, data, AI and information technology expertise; and a track record in innovation or entrepreneurialism are of particular interest.
CGT Catapult is looking to use this recruitment opportunity to broaden the diversity of the Board across some under-represented groups. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian, Minority, Ethnic (BAME) minorities and younger candidates. All appointments will be made on merit of skill and experience relative to the role.
CGT Catapult is looking to appoint up to two non-executive board directors, and to build a potential pipeline as the terms of current existing non-executives come to an end.
The Role – Non-Executive Directors
- Contribute as active and supportive members of the Board, direct CGT Catapult’s strategic development through decisive leadership, clear plans and targets;
- Bring an external, independent perspective, and advise the Board and executive accordingly;
- Scrutinise and monitor the performance of CGT Catapult, ensuring that it delivers in line with its strategy and targets;
- Challenge and support the CEO and executive team in their decision making;
- Advise on risk management, internal control frameworks and systems which support the integrity and quality of management information;
- Assist in developing key relationships and communicating with industry, government, academia, sector bodies and other key stakeholders;
- Work with the Chair and fellow NEDs to ensure that CGT Catapult is meeting the core objectives of irs Strategic Plan and that these objectives are in line with CGT Catapult’s mission and values;
- Maintain an awareness of local and national policy and how it impacts on CGT Catapult’s work;
- Act as an ambassador for CGT Catapult, championing its interests locally, nationally and internationally, representing the organisation effectively to external stakeholders; and
- Maintain absolute integrity, independence and professionalism in view of the exposure to delicate and confidential issues at Board level.
Skills and Qualities
- The ability to navigate relationships and quickly grasp the environment and dynamics;
- Strong communication and influencing skills, the ability to listen effectively and challenge constructively, supporting collective decisions and balancing challenge with assurance and support;
- High credibility with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide range of individuals, building productive, collaborative relationships;
- Strong commitment to public service values such as diversity and inclusion.
We are particularly looking for NEDs who bring Enterprise, Growth or Venture based experience. The successful candidates will demonstrate experience of working within Industry and / or Academic organisations and bring an entrepreneurial and innovative approach.
Person Specification for NEDS
Ideally candidates will bring the following:
- Demonstrate a passion and commitment to CGT Catapult, its strategic objectives, mission and values;
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship-building abilities that can be utilised for the benefit of CGT Catapult;
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events out of office hours;
- Experience of working with the organisations/sectors targeted in CGT Catapult’s engagement plans, such as a start-up/SME/SME investor or academia;
- Evidence of significant personal achievements in driving and delivering change and improvements in a fast-moving, innovative environment, ideally involving technology application / AI;
- Track record of engaging successfully with others, building productive working relationships with a variety of industry partners, governments, academia, public agencies and regulatory bodies, including acting in an ambassadorial role;
- Proven understanding and experience of strategic and financial planning within an innovative organisation;
- Demonstrable commercial and political understanding and sensitivity;
- Commitment to developing robust and effective governance mechanisms;
- Mentoring or coaching colleagues;
- Experience in an area that will be complementary to that of existing Board members, including innovation and STEM technology application;
- An appreciation of CGT Catapult’s remit and ability to demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, the growth of innovation within the Bio sector in the UK; and
- Undisputed personal integrity and a personal style that demonstrates authority, commitment and consistency.
Terms of Appointment
- Conflicts of interest: It is accepted and acknowledged that candidates may have business interests other than those of the CGT Catapult and we require that conflicts that are apparent are to be declared upon application. Throughout the process, if you become aware of any further potential or actual conflicts of interest, these should also be disclosed, before any appointment can be confirmed.
- References: Ahead of any appointment, two written references will be considered by the panel.
- Liability: CGT Catapult has Directors and Officers insurance in place which covers personal civil liability to third parties, which is incurred in the proper execution of your functions provided you have acted in compliance with your duties, honestly, reasonably and in good faith without negligence.
- Remuneration: Non-Executive Directors: £15,000 per annum.
- Time Commitment: Non-Executive Directors: Minimum of 18 days per year.
- Term Length: Each non-executive appointment is made for a term of three years. Non-Executive Directors can serve for a maximum of two terms, with an additional third term if proposed and agreed by the Board.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 15 December 2023.
Panel interviews will take place during w/c 08 January 2023.
Prior to commencement an induction date will be set up to include lunch with the NED’s and meetings with the CEO and individual CxO’s.
If candidates have any availability concerns during January 2024, we ask that this is flagged at point of application.